Introduction to Redemptive Motherhood

Day 1 ~ Introduction

There are many things a mother treasures in her heart; a baby’s hearty giggle, the knuckle and elbow dimples of a chubby toddler, the wonder and wide eyes of a captivated child, and the horrified screams of a seven-year-old’s first ride on a roller coaster. That last one happened a week ago, and I’m still laughing about it.

There are those sentimental sorts of things that are etched into my mind of fleeting moments and seasons that tug at the strings in the center of me, and then there are treasures hidden even deeper where hopelessness and heartache have given way to profound healing, clear purpose, and unshakeable joy that I would shelve in the Miracle category, given where I have journeyed from.

I have set out to write this series because I want to trace the lines of God’s faithfulness to mend my deep personal brokenness in unexpected ways through these tender years, so that my children will one day know these stories, and so I don’t forget them myself. It is easy to forget the graces of early, humble days where a foundation is laid and built upon. It is a risk that our stories might be stripped of their original beauty because we have only logged the blur of years flying by.

This series is a pause and reflection; a bucket drawn up from our deep family well; a tale of our beginnings and the restoration of my heart, which I once thought was irreparably broken. It turns out, healing can happen. Hope can triumph over heartache, and redemption…well…

Redemption can come in the form of a baby. Or six babies, in my case; three boys and three girls who have changed me, a husband who has held and strengthened me, and a true and trustworthy God that whispers close to my heart the promise of purposeful surrender to His plans for me.

“After you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.” 1 Peter 5:10

The Hidden Gifts of Humility
October 11, 2017
Praise and Pain in the Same Space
October 10, 2017
Holding Space for a Free Spirit
October 8, 2017
10 Comments
    jacqui
    October 2, 2017 at 9:20 pm

This sounds amazing. Looking forward to reading along. 🙂

Emily
      October 3, 2017 at 5:52 am

Thanks for stopping in, Jacqui!

jacqui
    October 2, 2017 at 9:20 pm

This sounds amazing. Looking forward to reading along. 🙂

Emily
      October 3, 2017 at 5:52 am

Thanks for stopping in, Jacqui!

Jenni VW
    October 4, 2017 at 4:19 am

Your words are always such a comfort. Looking forward to reading your stories, my dear friend!

Jenni VW
    October 4, 2017 at 4:19 am

Robin
    October 9, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I just read the first chunk of the month backwards. (October is hard- amazing things to read, but my energy and time are consumed by writing.) I love this. It feels very much like chapters of a memoir that I would be incredibly happy to buy (and devour). Thank you for sharing this.

Emily
      October 10, 2017 at 5:09 am

Such nice words, Robin. You always fill me up with encouragement. I wouldn’t be surprised if this series becomes a longer work of some kind, but we’ll see how that goes 🙂

Robin